b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:24:21 -0500

David,

I am terribly sorry but I am unable to make sense of what you are saying.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Dec 10, 2007, at 11:50 PM, David Kummerow wrote:

Hi Isaac,

I take it that you did indeed deny more than one vowel. You stated (https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2007-November/ 034625.html):

"There is no such thing in Hebrew as a "vowel", except for A. The idea of the vowel is an alien carry-over into Hebrew from Indo- European grammar."

To me this statement can only be construed to mean that you only accept "A" as a vowel in BH -- hence only one vowel.

Do you accept that the "sounds" you list have phonemic status in BH? If so, then a consequence of this is not every "U", "I", etc need be a personal pronoun, which I have outlined in a previous post. This is a by-product of accepting these vowels as phonemes.

In any case, what of my question, namely, What is your evidence for equating what has traditionally been analysed as gender marking to actually be speech-participant marking?

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,
Do you really think that I am, or was, denying the existence of the U, I, O, E sounds in Hebrew?
Isaac Fried, Boston University