b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Explain it please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Explain it please
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:13:14 +0000

David Kummerow,

You keep saying that you won't comment on Isaac Fried's ideas, and then you
keep commenting on them. I think you are worried that people might believe
his ideas that are not accepted by mainstream linguists. I think anyone who
is educated enough to read and understand his etymological dictionary of
Hebrew would be educated enough to know that his ideas are not mainstream.
Less educated people don't sit around reading etymological dictionaries, and
are not going to accept non-mainstream linguistic ideas or even mainstream
linguistic ideas.

When I first read his ideas I did not understand them, and mostly I still
don't. His ideas are for people who are better educated
in Hebrew, and they should be able to evaluate them, so you don't have to
worry. If they like them, then they probably understand that they are not
mainstream, and they don't mind.

Kenneth Greifer