b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Explain it please
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:33:47 +1100

Kenneth:

1. Personally, I don't think I said I would not respond to Isaac ever again. Rather, I would not respond in the particular thread where I stated that I would not respond there again unless he sought to grapple with the serious linguistic problems with his ideas.

2. As such, since this is a new thread, I feel that I have the option to respond again to his assertions.

3. I have actually said nothing new anyway, just drew attention the continued avoidance of some fundamental linguistic problems with his ideas.

4. I offered some literature which relates to the issues of the new thread, which may be helpful to him or others as they seek to relate to the issues of the thread.

5. You don't have to attempt to guess my "worry" as I'll state it explicitly for you: I am not "worried that people might believe his ideas that are not accepted by mainstream linguists." Rather, I am more worried that people are tiring of his fanciful postings and tiring of a list which actually tolerates such postings which surreptitiously mock others' postings, do not deal substantively with issues raised by others, or neglect to provide evidence for his assertions contrary list rules. As such, I am worried that others in addition to Dr Lehmann are tempted to just move on. I know I am. Why should people have to "moderate" postings by creating filters in their email programs, as was suggested by the moderators?

Sincerely,
David Kummerow.

David Kummerow,

You keep saying that you won't comment on Isaac Fried's ideas, and then you keep commenting on them. I think you are worried that people might believe his ideas that are not accepted by mainstream linguists. I think anyone who is educated enough to read and understand his etymological dictionary of Hebrew would be educated enough to know that his ideas are not mainstream. Less educated people don't sit around reading etymological dictionaries, and are not going to accept non-mainstream linguistic ideas or even mainstream linguistic ideas.

When I first read his ideas I did not understand them, and mostly I still don't. His ideas are for people who are better educated
in Hebrew, and they should be able to evaluate them, so you don't have to worry. If they like them, then they probably understand that they are not mainstream, and they don't mind.

Kenneth Greifer