b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 05:21:41 -0700

Edward:

On 10/27/07, Edward Andrews <edandrews AT roadrunner.com> wrote:
> To all:
>
> Gen 2:18: Rmxyv hvhy myhlx xl bvF Mdxh vdbl

If you are going to use a romanization, could you please use the one
agreed to by the list? Or write it in Hebrew? I had to look up a
Hebrew Bible to make sure of the exact text.

> Lit., and he is saying Jehovah God not good to be of the human to alone of
> him

> ... However, is the unnamed translation within or outside of being
> acceptable and why?

It doesn't accurately reflect the correct meaning into English. The
correct meaning needs to adjust the syntax to fit English usage.

> My reason for asking is this: does this verse and its context allow for the
> idea that God is saying that Adam is lonely, thus this is what moved Him to
> step in, maybe even before he finished the task of naming the animals, and
> create Adam's complement?

No. The verse says nothing about Adam's feelings.

> Second question, it appears that Adam named the animals based on the
> character and makeup up of the animals (the horse sus, the bull shohr, the
> sheep seh, the goat ?ez, a bird ?ohph, the dove yoh·nah´, the peacock
> tuk·ki´, the lion 'ar·yeh´ or 'ari´, the bear dov, the ape qohph, the dog
> ke´lev, the serpent na·chash´, and so on), which implies that Adam took his
> time to study each different animal. In other words, God simply did not
> gather all of the animals in a big line to rush them past Adam, to
> accomplish the naming all in one day.

And why not? Though this does not mean that he named all the
subspecies (subkind?) at that time. (Later names could have been (most
certainly were) added by later generations.)

> Am I off base in considering that Adam had grown lonely, which could hardly
> be the case in 24 hours?

Yes. All the verse says is that there was only one man, and that God
said that it was not pleasing that man did not have any counterpart on
his level with whom to interact.