b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 07:39:56 +1100

Edward,

You appear to be reading the timeframes of Gen 1 into the story of Gen
2. I'm not sure we can do this legitimately. The story which begins at
2.4 does not have the same timeframe as Gen 1. In fact, Gen 2.5-6 and
its use of yiqtol verbs to indicate ongoing action in the past
suggests that a long time past when there was no human being to work
the ground for the production of vegetation. But once there is a man,
we are not given any indication of the passage of time.

So, it's not that I think the text does not give you an answer to your
question. Rather, I think the text does not even allow you to ask that
question in the first place. It's a bit like asking whether Snow White
bit into her apple before or after the three bears came home from
their stroll. I know I'm exaggerating slightly, but my main point is
that Gen 1.1 - 2.3 is a prologue, and the toledoth formula in 2.4 gets
a new story started. The subject matter overlaps (creation), but the
stories are different.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)