b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 2.18
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:31:17 -0800

Dear Karl,

I would add that, in this instance, the way of telling the story is found in
that Genesis 1 gives the overall situation, while Genesis 2 gets more into the
specifics of the story. Genesis 1 describes the events of each day using Yom
with cardinal number and the phrase "evening and morning," etc., while
Genesis 2
is describing in more detail the events of Day 6. In no way is it providing a
different creation story. This is paying attention to the literary genre,
grammar, rhetorical devices, etc.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III