b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a Spoken Language vs. Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a Spoken Language vs. Aramaic
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:39:27 -0700

Dear Dave,

K. A. Kitchen, Ancient Orient and Old Testament, Chapter 7, "Principles of
Linguistic Studies," III: (c), "The Question of Aramaisms," pp. 145-146. See
also page 108, footnote 84.

In this section of the book he cites or quotes the following: Eissfeldt, R.D.
Wilson, BASOR 89 (1943), C.H. Gordon, C. Viirolleaud, E.J. Young, J.
Aistleitner, M. Dahood, A. Dupont-Sommer, Wiseman, W.F. Albright, E. Forrer,
E.
Ebeling, B. Meissner, etc. just to list a few. He further uses the Amarna
Letters and Assyrian texts from Tiglath-Pileser I of the prove the point.

What I think is happening is that when Aramaic became the official language of
most of the Levant Hebrew was still spoken and used through to the Rabbinic
period by the people. The references to "Hebrew" in the New Testament is
commonly understood to refer to Aramaic. I think this is wrong. The
interpretation of the Aramaic phrases are mentioned. The references to Hebrew
being spoken, e.g., Paul in the Temple precincts during his arrest, is
actually
Hebrew. The Sanhedrin meeting for Jesus' trial would have used Hebrew. An
example of one language being used but another used at the same time would be
Koine Greek during the ascendancy of the Roman Empire from roughly 200 BC to
200
AD. Greek was the official language of the Roman Empire, while Latin was still
used. By 200 AD, if not earlier, the situation reversing itself, at least in
the
West, while Greek was still used by the Byzantine Greek East. From a closer
time
period, after the Battle of Hastings, Norman French was used in England by the
nobility, but it was the Saxon English that was used by the common people.
Eventually, although Latin was still used in churches, official decrees, etc.,
it was English that was understood by almost everyone. Thus, I can still see
very much of Hebrew being understood by all classes of people through the
Rabbinic period especially considering that Latin, Greek, Hebrew was used on
the
indictment of Jesus.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III