b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a spoken language
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:39:16 -0300

I agree, as usual, with Yitzhak's view in this thread.
I only wish to caution about overstating one thing Yitzhak wrote:

> Both Qumran Hebrew and
> Mishnaic Hebrew are very different from the Hebrew found in
> the Bible.

My doctoral work is was on Qumran Hebrew, subtitled, "Tense, Aspect, and
Modality between the Bible and the Mishnah." Yet I am not sure what major
differences these might be, unless by "Qumran Hebrew" is meant only that of
4QMMT or the Copper Scroll.

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,
http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot