b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:43:05 -0400

"Note Abimelech's self-serving assertion that Abimelech is "a righteous
nation"."

The Torah teaches us that Avimelech WAS righteous (for his time) - by the fact that G-d admitted that his intentions were good, by the fact that Avimelech merited to have a moment of Prophecy

"Whether Abimelech is being truthful or not in claiming to his servants that
Abimelech had not come near Sarah we will never know. In my view, the author
of the Patriarchal narratives wants us to understand these verses as being
what Abimelech said to his servants, not as necessarily being what actually
happened."

There is nothing in Torah to support your view, not in the text, not even by implication, your view is entirely arbitrary, and proves my point - that if you don't believe that G-d wrote the Torah, then - in your mind - you can construe it to mean anything you want it to mean.