b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] short [o]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] short [o]
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:53:12 +0200

On 10/17/07, Pere Porta wrote:
In my study on Hebrew patterns I have remarked that as regards the Qal
imperfect 3rd person singular masculine or most transitive regular verbs
the
Bible uses, in a general way, the short form (look at
www.oham.net/out/P-t/P-t189.html) more often, by far, than the long one
(look at www.oham.net/out/PI-t2/PI-t2-034.html).

But this seems not to apply to the book of Job, where the long form seems
be much more usual than the short one.

I'm wondering whether there are any reasons (perhaps historic? others?)
for
this.

Your "long" and "short" forms appear to be not what Hebraists normally use
in
reference to verbs. They appear to be comments on the absence or presence
of a waw for the vowel [o:]. However, in Tiberian Hebrew vocalization,
the
vowel [o:] is always long irrespective of whether there is a waw or not.
In
general, and this applies to all [o:] vowels, a vowel is long in Tiberian
Hebrew
if it is in an open or stressed syllable. So [yixto:v] and [yi$po:+] are
pronounced with the same vowel in the second syllable.

The only way to get a short [o] vowel is in a short open syllable before a
guttural. A short
open syllable is designated by a schewa or hataf patax.

________

PP- A qamats qaton is not too itself a short 'o' vowel?
________

Thus, the word
thwm is pronounced toho:m with a short [o] after the t.

PP - Are you sure that "thwm" (Gn 1:2) is pronounced with a short [o] after the t?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)