b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:58:51 -0700

Dear Dave,

I agree with your assessment of the period of the Judges, but I would say that
there is a downward spiral of the leadership, the Levites AND the people.
There
was a total meltdown. The best example would be the problems with the near
destruction of an entire tribe in chapters 19-21. The recurring phrases of
"there was no king in Israel" and "every one did right in his own eyes"
indicate
that "Keeping the Law of Moses" (including Deuteronomy) was not being done. It
continues in Ruth and I & II Samuel (books also written to justify the Davidic
legitimacy over Israel).

It is quite evident that the men judges were somewhat effective in ending the
captivity of the various tribes, but were seriously flawed as has been
mentioned. The one real exception to all the Judges was Deborah. (Does NOT put
us men in a very good light does it?) But that is what the Word of God has
always done: to show the truth about all mankind with all their sinfulness
including Abraham (lying), Isaac (lying; stubbornness), Jacob/Israel (too
numerous to count), the Sons of Jacob (same as Jacob), Moses (murder; anger),
David (adultery, anger, murder), etc., yet most of them are written in the
Hall
of Faith in Hebrew 11.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III