b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:12:13 -0700 (PDT)

That was me, actually, who mentioned the commentary, and I hope I made it
clear that I don't agree with that assessment. One thing that I think
gives the HB narratives a ring of truth is the fact that the characters
are real people: flawed, fumbling, making mistakes, disobeying, being
dunderheads at times. I have already given my view, that the work of
Samson against the Philistines sets up the narrative, heading toward the
books of Samuel, for the rise of the Davidic kingdom. I don't really see
a "downward spiral" in leadership, especially considering that there was
probably some overlap in the terms of the various judges (see my paper
"The Chronology of Judges: Another Look", Bibliotheca Sacra, Oct. 1990).