b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: pporta AT oham.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 03:55:28 -0500

Still a bit foggy, but not as much as I originally was though - so thanks so far!

I can understand the idea of something being in front of you, you realize it, and by explaining it you cause them to realize it. But still something seems to be missing. For example: why use this word to express "telling" instead of )MR

And then how do you go from "in front" to "opposite".
Before I thought that the main idea was opposite, and if something is on the opposite side of a table as you are then they are in front of you - so to me that made sense. But just because something is in front of you doesn't mean that its on the opposite side of the table from you - it could be on the same side.

Thanks for the help so far, but I'm still not quite getting it.

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

pporta AT oham.net wrote:

Yes. But my question is how are these related?
How does the concept of "opposite" relate to the concept of "to tell"?

_____

Let us take for preposition NGD the meaning "in front of".
If you have something in front of you (say a car, a dog or a rose), usually you are seeing it as it really is (though we do not see the intimate nature of things), so that its shape, colour, size and so on are clear for you. So a thing that is in front of someone is conspicuous for him (the seer).

Now, how do we do to make something to be conspicuous, to be clear (to
others)? Just by explaining, declaring, telling others about it...

Is this explanation enough? Do you feel some step, some ring of the chain
is lacking here?

Pere

pporta AT oham.net wrote: I have a question.

Sometimes NGD is translated as "against" or "opposite" or "in front", to
which I can see the relationship between.
But other times it's translated as "tell" or "declare".

I don't see the common link between the idea of "opposite" and "telling".
Can someone please help me understand the relationship between these ideas.
_________

As a preposition, NGD means "against", "opposite", "in front of"...
But as a verb, NGD means "to be conspicuous". Then the Hiph'il form of verb NGD, which in its basic form is HGYD (look at Mi 6:8), means "to cause to be conspicuous" ie "to declare", "to explain", "to tell".

Pere