b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Brak" <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:29:49 +0200

Yes. But my question is how are these related?
How does the concept of "opposite" relate to the concept of "to tell"?

_____

Let us take for preposition NGD the meaning "in front of".
If you have something in front of you (say a car, a dog or a rose), usually
you are seeing it as it really is (though we do not see the intimate nature
of things), so that its shape, colour, size and so on are clear for you.
So a thing that is in front of someone is conspicuous for him (the seer).

Now, how do we do to make something to be conspicuous, to be clear (to
others)? Just by explaining, declaring, telling others about it...

Is this explanation enough? Do you feel some step, some ring of the chain
is lacking here?

Pere

pporta AT oham.net wrote:
I have a question.

Sometimes NGD is translated as "against" or "opposite" or "in front", to
which I can see the relationship between.
But other times it's translated as "tell" or "declare".

I don't see the common link between the idea of "opposite" and "telling".
Can someone please help me understand the relationship between these
ideas.

_________

As a preposition, NGD means "against", "opposite", "in front of"...
But as a verb, NGD means "to be conspicuous". Then the Hiph'il form of verb
NGD, which in its basic form is HGYD (look at Mi 6:8), means "to cause to be
conspicuous" ie "to declare", "to explain", "to tell".

Pere