b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: pporta AT oham.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Befuddled by NGD
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:28:14 -0500

Yes. But my question is how are these related?
How does the concept of "opposite" relate to the concept of "to tell"?

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

pporta AT oham.net wrote:

I have a question.

Sometimes NGD is translated as "against" or "opposite" or "in front", to
which I can see the relationship between.
But other times it's translated as "tell" or "declare".

I don't see the common link between the idea of "opposite" and "telling".
Can someone please help me understand the relationship between these ideas.

_________

As a preposition, NGD means "against", "opposite", "in front of"...
But as a verb, NGD means "to be conspicuous". Then the Hiph'il form of verb NGD, which in its basic form is HGYD (look at Mi 6:8), means "to cause to be conspicuous" ie "to declare", "to explain", "to tell".

Pere