b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virginity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virginity
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:49:57 -0700

In addition, Judges 21:12 piles up 3 terms, NA(AR, B:TUWLFH, and "who did not
know to
lie with a man," a rather unusual expression, methinks. The previous verse
says to kill ever
woman "who knows lying-down with a male" (my own literal rendering). All
this suggests
that the language being used here is very intensive and hardly normative for
regular
narrative, much less poetry. I doubt we can infer anything at all about
Isaiah from this
verse.