b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virginity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virginity
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:00:43 -0400

Biblically, it had to do with her inheritance and property rights, etc. - and later on, whether she was married or not previously, has everything to do with her rights in her Ketuba.

Shoshanna

Harold,

What I am saying is scripturally and legally of the utmost importance
since it may mean the difference between life and death.
If you define virgin as a woman with an intact hymen, then I say the
Hebrew bible has no use for it. A BTULAH is a woman not yet married,
that's all. By tacit assumption she is also chaste. On her marriage
contract, a Jewish woman, first married, is designated as a BTULAH,
even without producing any certificate of virginity. So the most one
can say about an (LMAH is that she is not yet married.

Isaac Fried, Boston University