b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:23:47 EDT

JW:
I have Faith that it has now been sufficiently demonstrated here that the
Hebrew definite article H statistically usually provides the same function as

the English defnite article and therefore an English translation of THE is
usually indicated. It has also been demonstrated here though that in some
instances where the Hebrew definite article is used the context does not
support an
English translation of THE, either because the Hebrew context does not
indicate anything definite or English would emphasize an indefinite quality
where
Hebrew would emphasize a definite quality.

I would now like to expand beyond the offending word H to the surrounding
context to help determine if anything definite is indicated by the Hebrew and
if
so, what it is:

_http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa7.pdf_
(http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa7.pdf)

_http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1007.htm_
(http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1007.htm)

"
יד לָכֵן יִתֵּן אֲדֹנָי הוּא, לָכֶם--אוֹת: הִנֵּה
הָעַלְמָה, הָרָה וְיֹלֶדֶת בֵּן, וְקָרָאת שְׁמוֹ, עִמָּנוּ
אֵל. 14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young
woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
"

The closest Textual Marker I see here to the offending word is:

הִנֵּה

Common translations are "here is", "behold" and "look". For starters, BDB
Lexicon looks to me to give a most often usage in the Jewish Bible of a
connotation of the visual as in pointing to something physically present.
This is a
Natural combination to the use of the definite article for the young woman
as
the picture is Isaiah physically pointing to the young woman in the presence
of Ahaz.

HNH is a relatively common word though and has a broader meaning than the
physical connotation. BDB gives the next usage category as emphasizing the
connotation of an attention getting device for new information and has
categorized 7:14 here (mistakenly in my opinion).

Joseph Wallack