b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bi adoni

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: trepp AT telus.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bi adoni
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:20:16 -0400

Travis,

The astounding triumph of the scientific thinking of modern times is premised on the understanding that a host of apparently disparate phenomena are interrelated by some very very simple underlying general unifying principles. It is true of geometry, of physics, of chemistry; and should be so of linguistics. All planetary motion, for instance, are governed by just the two simple laws of inertia and gravitation. Yet to accept this theory you need to subscribe to the "absurd" notion that any two clumps of dirt attract [why attract and not repulse?] each other.
Hebrew grammar too needs to be unlocked of its frozen medieval mold.
I will not go now into the semantic relationship between LBB and BBL, except to call your attention to Genesis 11:9 "Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound [BALAL] the language of all the earth". The Hebrew bible in its infinite wisdom understands that the roots BBL and BLL "bear fraternal sentiments". But now come you and mock these insights as mere "lexical games".
One of the reasons that what I am saying is being so little debated is because it leaves the contributing members of this list literally speechless. On the one hand they are reluctant, I think, to acknowledge something as radical as this, coming from nowhere and never before uttered by the venerable Gesenius [the faithful follower of the medieval Jewish grammarians, who got the system from their Arab counterparts of Spain], but on the other hand they are unable, I think, to concretely refute or contradict it. I know that what I am saying is inherently correct, and that it actually, decisively, completely and elegantly, solve the entire enigma of the structure of the Hebrew language, and conclusively clarifies its grammar. I keep saying here what I think needs to be said under the premise that behind the vanguard of a few actively contributing list members there hides a big army of silent readers, and I know that eventually at least some of them will be won over to the side of reason.
What I essentially inter alia claim is that the Hebrew tri-literal root was not born so fully formed, but was rather built up over time of single-literal roots. One of these roots ["reversed cognates"] is AB or BA where A is a vowel entered just to facilitate the pronunciation. In Hebrew the A vowel may be carried by an Ayin or an Aleph indifferently. AB-BA [or AP-PA or AW-WA] essentially means 'thick, of actual presence'. In this sense, 'father' is essentially 'the thick one, the fat one [father = fat-er?]', and likewise cloud [a closed clod of vapor] is also essentially 'the thick one,'---they are both in their material essence one and the same. Yet to visually, and eventually semantically, distinguish between them )AB, 'father' is written with an Aleph and (AB, cloud' is written with an Ayin. Likewise, )AP, 'nose', is the fleshy part jutting up on the face [recall Song 7:5 "thy nose is as the tower of Lebanon which looketh toward Damascus"], and (AP, 'fly', means being up [no movement, just being up there].
Consider also 1 Samuel 1:20. "she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked [root: $)L] him of the LORD." I suspect that the original spelling of the name was $MU()EL with an Ayin for Listened-God, of the root $M(, but that this Ayin was dropped in writing with the intention of achieving in our mind the segregation of this and the other ancient name YI$MA()EL. It is also clear from this verse that the pious and linguistically monumentally gifted Hannah saw the roots $M and $L as being related.
To see the equivalence of of AB-BA and the other existence markers AG- GA [AK-KA, AQ-QA], AL-LA, AN-NA, AS-SA [AD-DA, AC-CA, AT-TA, AZ-ZA] consider the Hebrew words: MA-(AB-EH, 'thicket', MA-)AP-EH, ' baked [faked?, backed?, bigged?] pastries', MA-(AQ-EH, 'parapet, battlement', MA-(AL-EH, 'ascent', MA-(AS-EH, 'act, deed carried out', MA-)AT-EH, 'covering', MA-(AN-EH, 'reply'. Clearly, MA-(AQ-EH, 'parapet, battlement' [see Deuteronomy 22:8] is a rising [MA-(AL-EH] thick [MA-(AB-EH] protrusion like a MA-)AP-EH covering [MA-)AT-EH] the roof edge, produced or carried out [MA-(AS-EH, related to the root YC), 'out'] to protect the roof loungers. the relationship of MA- (AN-EH, 'reply' to the other words is subtler because of its greater lexical or metaphoric content.
Meanwhile we can pleasantly and profitably contemplate the curious similarity of )ADON, 'master', of BI )ADONI, and )EDEN 'base', both from the root )DN.

Isaac Fried, Boston University