b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:14:24 -0500

Like others here, I don't really see where the definite article in
ha-almah presents a theological problem to anyone. Jewish interpreters will
say that the definite article indicates that the almah was a young woman who
was known in Hezekiah's time. Christian interpreters, on the other hand, say
it's a prophetic reference to Miriam (Mary), the mother of Yeshua (Jesus).
She was "the" virgin; that is, she was "the" one who was chosen by God to be
the mother of the Messiah.
Still others say it's not either/or, but both. There was a maiden in
Hezekiah's day who served as a type or foreshadowing of the yet-future
mother of the Messiah. The NIV Study Bible, in fact, presents this view.
So I really don't think this question is going to be resolved until
the Messiah comes. Then we'll find out who was right. And it's questionable
that the Hebrew terms here prove or disprove any of the major views.
Perhaps a more fruitful line of inquiry re: Isaiah 7:14 would be the
meaning of the word "sign" (owt). Was a "sign" ordinarily something that
took place rather soon after it was given, or could it be a long-term
benchmark, even spanning generations, as the NT indicates is the case with
this passage in Isaiah (Matt. 1:22-23)?

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA