b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JoeWallack AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:02:15 -0400

Joseph,

What is referred to as the Hebrew "definite article" HA- is in my opinion but a contracted and appended form of the personal pronouns HI, HU, HEM, HEN, as half heartedly conceded even ("almost has the force of" on page 404) by GKC. It is used for anything revealed (or assumed) as existing, and which can, therefore, be unambiguously referred to as 'he, she' or 'it' by both speaker and listener. The third person personal pronouns are by themselves combinations: HI = H- I and HU = H-U consisting of the existence marker H and the original personal pronouns I and U. Standing alone they are made to differentiate gender: HI for female, and HU for male, but are otherwise left gender indifferent in attached or inserted form. The closest HA- gets to HI is in its HE form (now almost totally discarded in spoken Hebrew) as in HE-XALUC, 'the insurgent'. This existence marker H appears as the stronger X or K in ANOKI, ANAXNU and the genitive attachments -AK, -AKAH, -AKEM, AKEN, all related to XAI, 'alive', AX, 'brother', )OAX 'bird', and HAYA or HAVA, 'was'.
One may think of definiteness as being achieved by an imaginary tag, caption or plaque bearing the name of the indicated object and attached to it or to its pointed out image. Obviously unique objects, carry such caption by default as HA-AREC, 'the earth', HA-$EME$, 'the sun', HA-YARDEN, 'the Jordan river', HA-MELEK, 'the king' (as long as he reigns. Think about a picture of the current president being captioned HA-NASI) = HI NASI) = HU NASI), "the president").
It is used also in the participle form for the actor, as in HA-MAL) AK HA-GO)EL )OTYI, 'the angel who redeems me', of Genesis 48:16. The nature of this HA- becomes obvious by reading it primevally as HI MAL) AK HI GO)EL )OTYI, or equivalently, HU MAL)AK HU GO)EL )OTYI.
Otherwise it is )EXAD or )AXAT, 'one', as in VA-YHI )I$ )EXAD of 1 Samuel 1:1.
Every person who has performed a noticeable act may be singled out by HA-, such as HA-MELIC, 'the interpreter' of Genesis 42:23, ( as though a picture is added to the text bearing the caption "HA- MELIC"), HA-NA(AR, 'the servant', of Genesis 18:7, HA-PALIT, 'the remnant', of Genesis 14:13, and HA-MAGID, 'the informer' of 2 Samuel 15:13.
HA- is not used in a construct link form, for instance, YO(EC DAVID, 'David's confidant'. Country names are left indefinite either because they are short for a linked form such as ISRAEL for EREC ISRAEL, or because they can not be pictured.
Curiously enough the English say 'he went to school', but 'he went to the store'.
Hebrew often omits the indefinite article even in reference to one item. Both English 'he ate an apple' and 'he ate meat' is equivalently HU )AKAL TAPUAX and HU )AKAL BASAR.
Reference to a generic object is without HA-. A text book picture of, say, a donkey would carry the bare caption XAMOR. But reference to any specific object, even a hypothetical one, is with a HA- as in MIYAD HA-)ARI UMIYAD HA-DOV, 'out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear' of 1 Samuel 17:37, as in English.
A member of a group is singled out by a last HI, contracted to a mere I, as in ISRAELI = ISRAEL-HI and ISRAELIT = ISRAEL-HI-AT, not to be confused by the possessive form such as YADI = YAD-HI = YAD-ANI, 'my hand'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University