b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Infinitive Absolute (Verbal Noun)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Infinitive Absolute (Verbal Noun)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:33:10 -0400

Bryant,

I am afraid that this "INTENSITY that the Infinitive Absolute brings" is a figment of the imagination. In my opinion there is nothing grammatical in MOT TA-MUT of Genesis 2:17 and it should be simply translated as "you will die". Any addition to this is but a marring detraction. Similarly, I would translate Exodus 21:5 AMOR YO-MAR, as "shall say", and not "shall plainly say". What is this "plainly" for? I am tempted to translate this verse as "And if the servant shall come and say" to add to it some literary flesh, but "come" is not in the original.

As I said before this "Infinitive Absolute" is a mere cadential device made possible in Hebrew by the fact that the language is root based, and by the interchangeability of the vowels (universal personal pronouns) O, U, I as in SOS, SUS, SIS, all from the root SS. It is not reproducible in English and should always be left alone. You want to experience the unique flavor of the Hebrew Bible---study Hebrew.

Notice also how random and sparsely used this device is. In 1Samuel 24:20 we find MALOK TI-MLOK, but in Micah 5:3 it is KI ATAH YIGDAL, and not KI ATAH GADOL YIGDAL.

Isaac Fried, Boston University