b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>, "Scott McAliley" <scottanderin1 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dying, you will die Gen 2:17
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:42:28 -0700

Dear Isaac,

Gesenius, Paragraph 45, pages 122-123:

The Infinitive is represented in Hebrew by two forms, a shorter and longer;
both are, however, strictly speaking, independent nouns (verbal
substantives). The shorter form, the Infinitive construct, ... is used in
very various, sometimes in connexion with pronominal suffixes, or governing
a substantive in the genitive, or with an accusative of the object (Para.
115), sometimes in connexion with prepositions (...Para. 114), and sometimes
in dependence upon substantives as genitive, or upon verbs as accusative of
the object.

On the other hand, the use of the longer form, the Infinitive absolute, is
restricted to those cases in which it emphasizes the abstract verbal idea,
without regard to the subject or object of the action. It stands most
frequently as an adverbial accusative with a finite verb of the same stem
(Para. 113, h-s).

Paragraphs 113, 114, 115, pages 339-355. I will quote paragraph 113, number
3, page 342:

3. The Infinitive Absolute occurs most frequently in immediate connexion
with the finite verb of the same stem, in order in various ways to define
more accurately or to strengthen the idea of the verb. ... We further
distinguish- (a) The infinitive absolute used before the verb to strengthen
the verbal idea, i.e. to emphasize in the way either the certainty
(especially in case of threats) or the forcibleness and completeness of an
occurrence. In English, such an infinitive is mostly expressed by a
corresponding adverb, but sometimes merely by putting greater stress on the
verb; e.g. GN2:17...thou shalt surely die.

I will note that "surely" is an adverb. Surely = Certainty. So my question
is, In what word would you use to intensify the verb and Infinitive Absolute
to clearly indicate in English, the idea of absolute death?

MOT is a state (lying on the back with closed eyes, an
> idle pulse, a drained brain and a departed spirit), while TAMUT = ATA-
> MUT is how you (ATA) will get there.

That may be the idea today, at least with the body, but is that what was
understood by Adam and Eve? (This last question should be answered off-line,
Please.) There is really no way of knowing since the idea of death also
includes the inner person and the text in no ways indicates this; it is
speculation albeit educated speculation.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III