b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:55:39 +1100

Dear Isaac,

I am not agreeing with you per se. And it it not just "now" that I am in agreement. I have been persuaded of the existence of a short prefix verb for a while now (but maybe not as long as you as I am young in years). I find your theories to be unconstrained and subjective. I am more convinced by the language data itself and others who have helpfully explained that data. I disagree on the dagesh with you and that the verb form "contains two personal pronouns". Rather, they are verbal paradigmatic inflections, PERHAPS diachronically related to personal pronouns (this is easier to demonstrate for the suffix verb). However, they are no longer personal pronouns. They could even be thought of as a circumflex. As you know, BH is a non-catenative language.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David,

I am glad to see that you now agree with me that wayyiqtol contains a "short prefix verb". I will wait for you to agree with me that it also contains two personal pronouns.

Isaac Fried, Boston University