b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 01:35:38 +0200

All wayiqtols fall in strictly two categories:

1) most are past tense verbs; wa signifies tense reversal from yiqtol. That
conforms to the common usage of waw in Hebrew (e.g., w as 'but').
2) some are "and + future tense verb." That usage reflects deictic center
shift, e.g., "And [at that past moment] he would say..."
Usage of waw in 1 derives from 2.

That's by far the simplest explanation and fully complies with observed
facts.

Vadim Cherny