b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 22:39:15 -0500

Bob,
In my opinion the purpose of the dagesh is to indicate that the "waw conversive" is not part of the verb but only an addendum to it. This VA is a variant of the substantive BA, English 'be'. Following the waw comes a personal pronoun standing for the actor. For instance (I am using the example on page 197 of the paper, Ex. 19:3), VA-YI-KRA, in which YI = HI is God. Thus, VA-YI-KRA = BA-HI-KRA.

Isaac Fried, Boston University