b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 2:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <pporta AT oham.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 2:3
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:29:18 +0100

Can anyone explain the word הַצְּפִינוֹ֒ "hacepino" - why is there a dagesh in the sade and not in the pe?

This is an exceptional case. The normal pattern for hiph'il construct infinitive + personal pronoun is without dagesh in the 1st root consonant. We find an example in Jr 31:2 (word last but one in the verse) though it is true that a resh does usually take no dagesh...

Now, I should rather say that there is here not a plain mistake of someone (an early vocalizer...) but a clear case of unaware imitation of the several cases of letter Tsade written with strong dagesh we find here and there in the bible because it is (or they are) from a verb either peh"nun or peh"yod with Tsade as 2nd root consonant.

Let us look at these examples (I do not write the vowels):

1. )CYL -------- Zc 11:6
2. LHCYB ---------- 1Chr 18:3
3. HCYB -------- 1Ki 16:34
4. YCYB -------- Js 6:26