b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Sade/Ayin-Quf literary device

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Sade/Ayin-Quf literary device
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:11:01 +0000

On 1/5/07, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

lambda as the letter name probably originally was pronunced is also a
qatl form. The Hebrew malmad- would seem to suggest how a noun
constructed from the verb would have looked like in Hebrew. I agree
that lamed is the best example of a noun that is related to a verb, but
the fact remains that of the clearly identifiable letter names, most letter
names are basic words with no verb. If we, however, ask what a
segholate of a final-y root would have looked like, we can find an example
in xaci (xcy) "half" (< *xicy according to HALOT) from xch. HALOT also
claims this is a verb derived from the noun. In this case, we should have
expected cavi (cvy) or something of the sort, not cav.

Perhaps more appropriate examples would be the roots dwh and the word
davay (dwy) or the root lwh and the word levi (lwy) (perhaps).

Yitzhak Sapir