b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:21:40 -0600

A Becker wrote:
HH: I don't have the time to study this in depth, but your idea is old,
going back to the KJV:

Dan. 11:29 At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the
south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter.

I hadn't realized that the KJV had a rendering along the same lines. Shows
you how much I use the KJV!

HH: The fact that the modern translations (NIV, NRSV, NET) do not agree
with the KJV is reason to suspect that the KJV's interpretation is not
correct, though it is possible grammatically.

I would be curious to know the grammatical considerations for the RSV, JPS
rendering.

HH: The RSV is like the others. I don't know what the JPS has; I can't find that translation online. The idea is that the double Kaph phrasing is an idiom meaning something like "as . . . so . . . ."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard