b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 36:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JBarach AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 36:2
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:33:41 EST

BHaverim --

Any suggestions for the translation of Psalm 36:2 (in the Hebrew text, i.e.,
the verse after the title)?

The opening words ("a declaration/oracle of rebellion") are unusual, since
it's normal to have the second word in this construction be the name of the
person making the declaration (e.g., "an oracle of Yahweh" or "an oracle of
David"). It's possible, I suppose, that Rebellion is here personified and
is
the one making the declaration.

The next phrase may mean "belonging to the wicked" or "by the wicked" (on
the lines of "by David" in the title), so that it's a declaration of the
rebellion which belongs to or is committed by the wicked. Or it could be a
declaration by Rebellion (personified) *to* the wicked person, as if
Rebellion is
his god (comparable to "an oracle of Yahweh").

But then we get "within my heart." That's the MT. I realize that some
Hebrew manuscripts have "his heart," so that it's possible to take this a
statement within the heart of the wicked man. Maybe.

But is it possible (with some translations) to take this as an oracle which
is within the heart of the Psalmist? That is, an oracle ABOUT the rebellion
of the wicked man? That would be a different use of the "oracle of..."
construction, which normally involves a word indicating the speaker, not a
word
indicating the subject.

John

John Barach (541) 531-2906
Pastor, Reformation Covenant Church (CREC)
706 Beekman Avenue
Medford, OR 97501
http://barach.us