b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:25:41 -0500

Anthony,
Thank you for a very informative question.

>From looking at translations, this seems to be debatable:
LXX - the last shall not be as the first
Tyndale - follows LXX
KJV - not as the 1st or last (KJV usually follows Tyndale & LXX, so this was
a deliberate change from its predecessor)
Darby - follows LXX (Darby follows KJV by default, so this was a deliberate
change from its predecessor)
1901 ASV - follows KJV (ASV usually follows Darby over KJV, so this was a
deliberate change)
NASV - goes back to LXX (normally follows ASV, so this was a deliberate
change)
Stone Tanach (1996) - like KJV

Double kaph comparisons connected with a waw are quite common in Tanach, and
the meaning is "like A and like B". (Gen 22:17; 48:20; 49:9; Exo 11:6;
24:10; 29:41; Lev 6:10; 18:3 .....). This supports your view of the
translation.

Another meaning of the double kaph is "as A, so also B" (Josh 14:11; Ezek
18:4). With the negative in front, maybe it could mean, "Not like the first,
so this latter shall be."

The real problem is the scope of the negative. Does the negative apply only
to what is before the "and" or to what is after the "and" also? In the
Tanach, there are many instances of a single negative applying to both what
is before and after the "and" (Gen 19:33, 35; 45:6; 49:10 ...) I cannot find
a case of the opposite, where the negative does not apply to what is after
the "and". (I think that would be bad writing, but that doesn't prove
anything.)

****Can anyone find an example in the Tanach of "don't do A, but do B" where
the "but" is a waw prefix? Without that kind of example, I don't think the
negative can be applied to only what is before the "and".

I think the reason that most modern translations use the "not like the 1st,
so also the latter will be" meaning, is the reason Karl gives: that the
context seems more sensible for verse 29 to compare the 2nd expedition to
the first. In general I feel that modern Christian translations place too
much emphasis on context over what the verse actually says. In prophecy, I
think it is more important to let each verse speak for itself.

Without the witness of a negative applying only to what is before the "and",
I support your translation.

-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceinwilderness.info