b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 11:29, a third campaign implied?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:51:18 -0500

> From: K Randolph Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:16 AM
>
>From my understanding of Hebrew, I expected to see no more than two
> campaigns against Egypt and that the second one did not meet with the
> same success as did the first one. The reason for the failure was
> forces from outside of Egypt.
>
> As for the construct of the sentence, the negative is outside the
> comparison, so that does not change the form of the comparison itself
> nor its meaning. Whereas the positive sense indicates how the two are
> the same, adding the negative merely says that they were not the same.
> And the context defines the "they" as the two campaigns.

[Steve Miller] Karl,
most double-kophs are a comparison of three's. Especially those that do not
include a verb between the kophs. i.e.
Gen 22:17 I will richly bless thee, and greatly multiply thy seed, as the
stars of heaven, and as the sand that is on the sea-shore; and thy seed
shall possess the gate of his enemies;

The 3 being compared are Abraham's seed, the stars of heaven and the sand on
the sea-shore. It is not saying that the stars of heaven are like the sand
on the sea-shore, but that Abraham's seed are in number like the other two.

Thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit