b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "hed" in Ezekiel 7:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "hed" in Ezekiel 7:7
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:29:18 -0800

Yigal:

Once one frees himself from the tyranny of the points, several
possibilities present themselves.

On 12/6/06, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
Dear all,

The word "hed" appears only in Ezekiel 7:7 - the "hed" of the mountains. Most English
translations have "joyful shouting" or such like, probably assuming a connection to "hedad"
(which appears only in Isaiah).

First of all, you are right that HD appears only here. But what is the
sentence structure (context)?

What is the verb? Is it B) from the previous phrase, or is HRYM in
this phrase a hiphil from RWM with the subject the (T from the
previous phrase? One thing that is pretty certain, is that "mountains"
does not seem to fit the context, unless HD is somehow connected with
mountains.

What position in the phrase does HD possess? Is it from the root HWD? Or HDH?

As for HYDD, what is it? Does it have an adjectival usage, where the
H- is prefixed onto a YDD? Or a noun with a prefixed H-? Or possibly
both? Or maybe a different root not attested to in Tanakh? Or is this
the derivation from two different roots that have the same spelling?

Thanks

Yigal Levin

For a quick and dirty translation:

The end is surely coming, he causes to arouse the end unto you, behold
it comes. The goad (something that causes a person to get moving)
comes unto you, O settlers of the land, the time comes close, the day
of commotion, and no ?? ????. Now from close by I will pour out my
fury upon you and complete my anger in you and I will judge you
according to all your ways and give your abominations upon you.

If we take HD as from the HWD root, meaning majesty, and HRYM as a
hiphil verb, we get "and it (the time) causes no majesty to rise",
doesn't that fit the context better? Any better suggestions? I am
thinking out loud here.