b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "hed" in Ezekiel 7:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "hed" in Ezekiel 7:7
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:10:42 +0200

This make it more problematic. If hed is a shortened (or construct) form of hedad, it has nothing to do with thunder, and it's difficult to see the connection between "shouts of joy" and Hadad. On the othe hand, the Arabic, and more importanatly the Ugaritic cognates seem to mean "thunderous noise", which fits Hadad better. And if so, there is no connection between "hed" and "hedad".

And thanks for the article, Yitzhak. I'll have to read it more carefully. An article of mine, on theophoric toponyms with "Baal", is due to appear in the next Judea and Samaria Studies (in Hebrew). If you (or anyone else) want, I can email you a pre-copy.

Yigal

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>