b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The New Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Mark Spitsbergen <awakesd AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The New Testament
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:01:31 +0500

On 19/10/2006 23:33, Mark Spitsbergen wrote:
Peter, why do you present your ideas as absolute fact? In all honesty your
theories are really little more than a school of thought on the subject.
Dr. A.T. Robertson who has enriched us all with his work " A Grammar of the
Greek New Testament in the light of Historical Research" only identifies a
"thousandth part of the entire text" of the New Testament as presenting any
real concern. A little humility would greatly assist in your ability to
think objectively.

Since you have snipped my original post and changed the subject line, I don't know which ideas you are referring to. But I don't make any claim to "absolute fact" in these matters, except for what is in a book in front of my eyes, the number of manuscripts quoted in the introduction to the Nestle-Aland text. However, if you prefer I will withdraw
a textual tradition which had already become seriously corrupt during the
Byzantine period

and replace it with
a textual tradition concerning which I would expect that anyone who actually
compared the Greek texts would quickly conclude that it had already become
seriously corrupt during the Byzantine period

If you disagree, I suggest that you actually make a comparative study of all of the significant differences between the scholarly and Byzantine texts in the New Testament in Greek, as I have done in the last year.

I do entirely agree with A.T. Robertson that these changes are really rather insignificant, although a few of them do have minor theological significance. But note that it was not myself but Schmuel who made unqualified claims like "Texts full of scribal blunders" which could be taken as suggesting significant unreliability in the New Testament.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org