b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest-angels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest-angels
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:47:21 -0500

He's just always doing his job.

The proverbs you cite clearly relate to man, not angels.

Because angels do not have free will and were not given the Torah and 613 mitzvot.

And the serpent in Genesis, the consensus of our commentators is that it was a real serpent, they just differ as to who he represents - the Angel of Death, or Satan. At any rate he did the same thing - enticed Chava to disobey G-d.

Shoshanna

HH: If he's just doing his job, then God wants him to lie (Genesis 3).
But that's false because God hates lies:

Prov. 6:16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are
detestable to him:
Prov. 6:17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
Prov. 6:18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to
rush into evil,
Prov. 6:19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up
dissension among brothers.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Shoshanna

1 chron 21:1,8
Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel
8 Then David said to God, "I have sinned greatly by doing this.
Now, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a
very foolish thing."

Have any other angels risen against Israel? This particular
"rising up against Israel" resulted in David "sinning greatly". Has
any other angel's action caused a man to sin?

Zech 3:2
Satan is rebuked by God. Obviously God wouldnt rebuke him for what
He himself had commanded him to do, so satan here should have done
something that God did not want him to do. Are there examples of God
rebuking any other angel?

Best,
Sujata

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net> wrote:

I don't see that angels have authority - they do G-d's bidding - just
as Satan did with Job, despite Harold's claim. If you read the text,
it is clear that Satan twice asked G-d's permission to test Job, and
got the permission, with conditions, which Satan followed. No
rebellion, no doing anything without G-d's permission, no authority
to do anything without G-d's permission.

.