b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Satan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Satan
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:45:13 -0500

Dear Yigal,

As you understand, I do not accept NT interpretation of the Tanakh. I also don't neccesarily accept Talmudic interpratation as binding, although it is relevant for understanding the developement of Jewish tradition.

We must remember, that God is not human. What does "hate" mean to God? Does God truly have emotions, or does scripture use human emotions in the same way as it uses other human characteristics, such as God's hand, arm, face, backside etc. , as imperfect metaphors that help US comprehend a small point of God's characteristics.

HH: God inspired the Bible, so he wants us to think of him in terms of having emotions.

So your question of "Why should God create something He hates?" is simply irrelevant - because it's part of His plan, of which we can only see a small part.

HH: Genesis 1 describes how God created, and God saw everything as good and was pleased. He did not create something he hated.

HH: They are not wicked when created.

What about Gen. 8:21: "For man's yetser-lev is evil from his youth"?
I understand "yetser-lev" as "inclination of the heart".

HH: Genesis 8:21 is long after the creation. The fall of man has occurred through sin (Genesis 3), so that all children are born affected by it.

HH: There are complex reasons why storms occur, but it is not God's job
to stop storms from occurring.

Why not? He created the laws of nature - he could have created them differently.

HH: He did create them differently, but then the fall of man through sin came, and it was appropriate for God to make changes or for changes to occur.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard