b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Satan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Edward Andrews" <edandrews AT adelphia.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Satan
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:15:18 -0400

To all:

'But if God is love,' you may ask, 'why did he make the Devil?' (1 John 4:8)
The fact is, God did not create the Devil. 'Yet if God created everyone,' a
person may say, 'he must have created the Devil. Who else could have? Where
did the Devil come from?'

The Bible explains that God created many, many spirit persons similar to
himself. In the Bible, these spirits are called angels. Also, they are called
"sons of God." (Job 38:7; Psalm 104:4; Hebrews 1:7, 13, 14) God created them
all perfect. Not one of them was a devil, or a satan. The word "devil" means
slanderer and the word "satan" means opposer.

The time came, however, when one of these spirit sons of God made himself the
Devil, that is, a hateful liar who speaks bad things about another. He also
made himself Satan, that is, an opposer of God. He was not created that way,
but later became that kind of person. To illustrate: A thief is not born a
thief. He may have come from a good family, having honest parents and
law-abiding brothers and sisters. But his own desire for what money can buy
is what may have caused him to become a thief. How, then, did one of God's
spirit sons make himself Satan the Devil?

The angel that became the Devil was present when God created the earth and
later the first human couple, Adam and Eve. (Job 38:4, 7) So he would have
heard God tell them to have children. (Genesis 1:27, 28) He knew that after a
while the whole earth would be filled with righteous people worshiping God.
That was God's purpose. However, this angel thought a great deal of his own
beauty and intelligence and wanted to receive for himself the worship that
would be given to God. (Ezekiel 28:13-15; Matthew 4:10) Instead of putting
this wrong desire out of his mind, he kept thinking about it. This led to his
taking action to obtain the honor and importance he desired.-James 1:14, 15.

Edward Andrews