b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mashiach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mashiach
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:37:11 -0500

I think I've about had my personal fill of religious claims. I'm going
to pull out of this discussion and hope that we soon turn to grammar
and textual issues.

שלום

Yonah

On 9/9/06, sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Jesus is the divine plan, not a human doctor. Jesus bore our sickness upon
himself as stripes (Isaiah 53:5 and with his stripes we were healed).

Note the usage of bear in Exodus 28:38 - Aaron bore the inquities upon his
forehead.

Best,
Sujata
Yonah Mishael> wrote:

>YM: If he bore their sickness, then he would have become sick himself.This is simply more
metaphorical language added to the mix of what we are already trying to clarify with normal
language. I do not know how adding metaphor to metaphor helps us understand the text. Jesus did not
"bear" sickness of any kind, even if he (supposedly) healed any sickness. There is a
difference between bearing a sickness, which means that you suffer through it, and healing a
sickness. Doctors do not "bear" the sickness of their patients.