b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:16 Tifha

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Avi Wollman" <avi.wollman AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:16 Tifha
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:27:23 +0300

yonah said:
"Don't forget that an important function of the trope is to tell you
how to CHANT the verse"

And I'll forget because the trope is to SING not CHANT. as the bible is a
song.

Avi

On 9/5/06, Yonah Mishael <yonahmishael AT gmail.com> wrote:
IMHO, there is no significance to את and ואת taking the mercha accent
in Genesis 1:1 instead of being attached to the following words via
makkef (־). I think we're really stretching for meaning here. The
accents that really indicate meaning are major disjunctives. Mercha is
a connector. The trope pattern of Genesis 1:1 is

TIPCHA / MUNACH / ETNACHTA / MERCHA / TIPCHA / MERCHA / SOF PASUK

This is one of the most common and simple trope patters in all of the
Torah. I think it would be a waste of time and energy to sit and try
to think of reasons in every verse for the placement of these accents.
You have to think in terms of *phrases* when dealing with trope, and
there is nothing overly significant about this trope phrase
whatsoever. There are only two major disjunctives (ETNACHTA and SOF
PASUK). If you're going to question anything, you should question why
the ETNACHTA is placed on אלהים instead of on another word, but even
that is a fruitless question since it is logically the middle of the
verse -- in many verses this is not the case.

Don't forget that an important function of the trope is to tell you
how to CHANT the verse. Is there always a reason for specific notes on
specific words in every song? Sometimes, you just have to put notes on
a word to get to the next word in the phrase. The notes themselves do
not matter so much as the overall pattern.

שלום
Yonah

--
Yonah Mishael ben Avraham