b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 45, Issue 5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 45, Issue 5
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:37:11 -0500

I mentioned several times that perhaps it was just a question of terminology. Even I know that the name "Sanhedrin" is not from the Torah. I hope this whole discussion wasn't about its NAME.

Shoshanna

On the question of "origin of Sanhedrin".

According to Exodus chapter 24 there was "seventy of the elders" that is to say Seventy out of the elders that were available.

While the use of "seventy" seems to be a good foundation for all future use from there as we see it develop in scripture.

However the term "Sanhedrin" does seem to come from Greek origin.

I am endeavoring to copy and paste from the newest version of Concise Oxford English Dictionary (Eleventh Edition)

Sanhedrin (also Sanhedrim )

noun the highest court of justice and the supreme council in ancient
Jerusalem.

ORIGIN

from late Hebrew sanhedrin, from Greek sunedrion 'council', from sun- 'with'+ hedra 'seat'.

aah! So now can we meet on middle ground and call it the "Council Seat" or "Seat of Council"?

So at any rate, may we get off this question and on to others where we can agree on?

John B. Senterfitt