b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:17:08 -0400

Edward Andrews wrote:

I am tracking the pronunciation "Jehovah." In all of this, what was
started by Drusius and spread by Capella as a historical fact and is
still very much apart of the scholarly community today?

Dave writes,

The editors of the Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon write:
The pronunciation Jehovah was unknown until 1520 when it was introduced
by Galatinus; but it was contested by Le Mercier, J. Drusius, and L.
Capellus, as against grammatical and historical propriety.
On page 311 of the article "JEHOVAH (YAHWEH)" in the Encyclopedia
Britannica of 1911, the editors write:
The form Jehovah was used in the 16th century by many authors, both
Catholic and Protestant, and in the 17th was zealously defended by
Fuller, Gataker [1574-1654], Leusden and others, against the criticisms
of such scholars as Drusius, Cappellus and the elder Buxtorf.
I would recommend that you take a look at the Wikipedia Article:Yahweh,
which covers both the pronunciation "Jehovah" and the pronunciation
"Yahweh" in considerable detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

Check out Section # 2 and section # 2.1 which go into considerable detail
about the scholarly criticism of the name "Jehovah", which started as
early as the first half of the 17th century.

Sections # 5 through sections # 10 discuss Gesenius's scholarly
reconstruction YaH:WeH, which he proposed in the early 19th century,
after scholars had rejected the legitimacy of the vowel points of
"(Y)Jehovah"

Dave Donnelly