b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:23:47 -0500

The Latin Vulgate, the common Bible of the time among Christians, did
not transliterate the Name. Instead the Latin uses the title Dominus
("the Lord"). Thus, when scholars began to go back into the Hebrew and
Greek of the Christian Bible and look to translate them into other
languages, they ran into the problem of what to do with God's proper
name. Jews say "HaShem" or "Adonai" (some, "Adoshem"), but Christians
did not feel compelled to follow Jewish tradition, and they tried to
reproduce how it was pronounced. This manner of reproduction simply
follows the Massoretic vowels of )DNY instead of attempting to
reconstruct it based on the letters involved.

I am not in favor of any reconstructions of God's name. I think we
should do what we can to revere the Name, and this includes not
following half-baked ideas of how to pronounce it.

Yonah