b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:08:45 +0100

On 05/07/2006 00:35, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
I don't know how many hours were in that day. They were created as adults, by the way...

How to you reconcile this one with the biblical text which tells us that Eve became pregnant and gave birth to Cain (WATTAHAR WITTELED - actually I think the misplaced hiriq rather than patah in the latter word is a printing error in BHS) (Genesis 4:1)? I agree that the text is not entirely conclusive whether this happened before or after the expulsion from Eden, but it does clearly seem to imply a natural birth rather than Cain being created as an adult.

It would also seem strange that there is no mention of Cain and Abel in Genesis 3 e.g. v.21 if they were around at the time and adults.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org