b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: sujata <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Brian & Laureen Powell <powellbrian AT omf.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

Gen 46:15 refers to 33 sons and daughters beside Dinah through Leah, but the
sons and grandsons listed in Gen 46:8-14 total to 33. Is the translation
"sons and daughters" correct?
Best,
sujata

Brian & Laureen Powell <powellbrian AT omf.net> wrote:
> Dear James,
>
> The only thing that was "already observed" is that Karl said that
> "daughters" means more than just daughters. While I do not oppose the
> idea, I would like Karl, or anyone else, to cite a few concrete examples.
>
> Yigal

One possible example that comes to mind is where Naomi refers to Ruth
and Orpah, her daughters-in-law as 'my daughters'. Ruth 1:11-13

Blessings
Brian

--

Brian & Laureen Powell