b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] New Subscriber

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Joel Stucki <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] New Subscriber
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:36:21 +0100

On 08/06/2006 06:35, Joel Stucki wrote:

I also noticed a few unsuccessful posts of Hebrew. Please indulge me
while I satisfy my curiousity about how Hebrew comes across in the
mailing list when I try it from Gmail. :)

Best regards,
Joel Stucki

Hebrew
אני לדודי ודודי לי

Hebrew and English together

I am לדודי and my beloved לי

With Vowels

בְרֵאשׁיִת

This Hebrew arrived fine and displays correctly (although rather small) in Thunderbird, because it was sent with Unicode UTF-8 encoding. Presumably this is the gmail default, which is very sensible for what is obviously intended as an international system. Google searches also work with Unicode UTF-8, including in Hebrew.

A few days ago I wrote here that
The only proper standard-compliant way to send Hebrew script to the b-hebrew list is to select plain text with UTF-8 encoding
This is not quite true; you can also use one of the Hebrew character encodings, ISO-8859-8 or Windows-1255. At least the latter supports Hebrew consonants and niukd/vowel points (as well as the basic Latin alphabet, no accents), but teamim/accents are supported only in Unicode - and many readers may not have fonts which support teamim.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org