b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:13:19 +1000

Hi James,

If you're able, take a look at the following article:

Anstey, Matthew P. "Towards a Typological Presentation of Tiberian Hebrew." Hebrew Studies 46 (2005): 1-16. [It also appears as chapter 3 of his dissertation: "Towards a Functional Discourse Grammar Analysis of Tiberian Hebrew." Published PhD diss., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 2006.]

The article presents the basic theory and analysis which would lie behind a software engine which would provide you with your IPA text, or, if desired, Leipzig glossing. The author himself is working towards generating the whole OT in his proposed format, but it is still in progress.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Thanks for your reply Kevin. Its not a quest for
anything more 'accurate'. Its a quest for phonetic
representation that can be used universally with all
other languages. An engine that processes transliterations
would have to have different logic for each language
and each transliteration system and would be a beast
to write and maintain. I could write an engine which
attempts to parse a text into a phonetic representation
but as you have noted textual ambiguities would greatly
increase the complexity of such a parsing algorithm.
That is why I was hoping that somebody had already
made an attempt so that I could benefit from work
already done.