b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: klriley AT alphalink.com.au
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:40:28 +0100

Thanks for your reply Kevin. Its not a quest for
anything more 'accurate'. Its a quest for phonetic
representation that can be used universally with all
other languages. An engine that processes transliterations
would have to have different logic for each language
and each transliteration system and would be a beast
to write and maintain. I could write an engine which
attempts to parse a text into a phonetic representation
but as you have noted textual ambiguities would greatly
increase the complexity of such a parsing algorithm.
That is why I was hoping that somebody had already
made an attempt so that I could benefit from work
already done.