b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hametz - why the restricted meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hametz - why the restricted meaning?
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:00:13 +0300

Karl,

> The word XMC comes form a root with the meaning of
"soured", used as a verb not only for food, but
also refers to a person's soured outlook in life.

I would rather describe the root meaning as "stressed, constrained," but for
the present case the difference is not essential.

> For bread, it refers to the sourdough way of making
bread. From the same root we have XMWC soured, XMYC
fodder that has fermented while stored in a silo,
XMC leavened (bread) also vinegar.

No doubt about that. The question is, why does the tradition assume that xmc
in Ex12:15 relates specifically to bread? You surely know that Pesach ritual
even prescribes four glasses of wine, though plain reading of xmc in Ex12:15
prohibits all sour products, including wine (cf. Num6:3).

Vadim Cherny

If I remember correctly, nothing with yeast was
acceptable for temple worship. I'll have to double
check, but I think that is the case.

The general word for "bread" is LXM from the root
referring to feeding.

Karl W. Randolph.