b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] psalm 40:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <kennethgreifer AT messianicmistakes.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] psalm 40:7
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:21:18 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to ask any Hebrew expert for an opinion about Psalm 40:7. I
think the usual translation about ears being opened does not make sense. I
have tried to regroup some of the letters into new words that I think make
sense:
"They sacrificed a gift offering, You did not desire then their lament, You
gave a feast for me, a burnt offering and a sin offering You did not ask
then."
I moved the letter W to the end of the word "sacrifice" and I divided ears
into "then" )Z and "their lament" NYM. Many dictionaries say the noun NY is a
variation of the word NHY.
I think the writer is saying that G-d did not want sacrifices that involved
mourning, so they gave a gift offering only. Does anyone think this makes
sense and is this translation grammatically correct? Thank you.
Kenneth Greifer